Saturday, August 20, 2005

John Lennon


When I was a kid I would sit down at the table with a stack of notebook paper (taken from my older college student brother) and draw pictures of the Beatles. I spent 3 hours shading the upper lip of Ringo Starr.
My favorite was always John Lennon. I could never draw his guitar quite right or his face ( and I still can't) but I knew if I could get the way he stood while performing I was halfway to a good drawing. I remember one time, with my brother Courtney, doing a drawing of them performing and cutting out the figures and placing them in my grandparents headboard, which had a light, and playing the recently released, "P.S. I Love You" over and over again and pretending we were at a concert. Excellent.
His lyrics were more biting and creative causing me to think more. He was more of a smart ass ( which was a quality that went a long way with me), and you've got to love a famous artist that can flip off the world and do his or her own thing.
I think that the best thing ever said about him after his death was in a song by a punk band I can't remember in a song called "dead rock stars" and it goes like this, " I never cared much for John Lennon, but at least he didn't die in his own vomit". What an honor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Biggs,

Your ink drawings are superb! The lines are so delicate. What kind of pen and paper do you use? such a wonderful drawing.